Choosing the right deck fasteners may not be on the top of your priority list during deck repairs or installation, but it is essential. There’s a lot that goes into the planning, especially based on all of the options that have to be considered. Deckfasteners have to be durable and withstand moisture for several years.
TorOnCa breaks down the fastener options available, along with the pros and cons of each material to help make your decision easier.
Materials: Nails and Screws
Nails are measured by the length based on a penny, which is measured by a “d.” The gauge, also known as the diameter, increases the length (penny) as the size increases. The nail types include:
- Standard nails: Primarily used for general framing, they have thicker shanks and larger nail heads. Standard nails hold in place quite well but are more difficult to drive in and too much force could split the wood.
- Box nails: Much thinner than standard nails, box nails can reduce splitting in a thinner deck stock.
- Spiral nails: Ring shank nails or spiral nails grip onto the fibres of the wood and are much more difficult to remove.
- Finishing nails: These nails are quite small and slender with barrel-shaped heads mainly used for countersink work or trim work.
- Casing nails: Much heavier than the finishing nails, casing nails have a stronger holding power.
The framing connectors can strengthen the joints and framing members and many building codes require them. Joists must be attached to the side of a beam or ledger using a joist hanger. At the corners, you can cut the hanger in half or opt to use an angle bracket. An angle joist hanger is designed to accommodate 45-degree angle joists. Post caps are for beams that sit atop a post. If the joist rests on the beam, you can likely angle-drive the screw to the beam to keep the joist secure in place. Post anchors secure the post to a concrete pier to support it during heavy rainfall.
Hidden Deck Fasteners
- Hidden deck fasteners can be used for grooved deck boards.
- Hidden fasteners have to be approved for the type of deck you have to ensure they are suitable.
- Select hidden fasteners that allows you to remove a damaged deck board. Some hidden fasteners require removal of all of the deck boards even if just one needs to be replaced.
- Choose topside installation, as some hidden fasteners that are installed to the deck’s bottom can be difficult to remove.
TorOnCa offers premium deck installation for decks in Vaughan, Milton, Mississauga and Brampton. We are committed to working with our clients from start to finish to ensure their dream deck comes to life. From high-quality materials to friendly, highly skilled installed and deck repair specialists, TorOnCa guarantees optimal service each time. Contact us to get started on thedeck of your dreams today at https://toronca.ca/contact/.