Installing a deck requires some thought because there’s more to it than just selecting a size and design. If you’ve been thinking of getting a deck installed in your backyard this year here are a few tips that will help you make the right decisions for every aspect regarding this project:
- Select the materials most suitable for you. Real wood is often used to build decks, although it’s important to remember that not all types of wood are the same. A lot of contractors use pressure-treated pine, which is a common choice that is available in a variety of different grades. While treatment of the wood is the same, the amount of wood nuts is what varies and the fewer nuts the wood has, the more expensive it will be. Of course, depending on your budget, you can choose exotic woods if you prefer, although maintenance would be a lot different as other types of wood will have different requirements.
- Think of maintenance requirements. Consider all of the things you have to do in terms of cleaning, sealing, staining and resurfacing so that you can proceed accordingly. You don’t want to select materials that you cannot maintain as this will cause your deck to deteriorate over time. You also need to think of the climate you live in to determine whether or not snow, rain or extreme heat will affect the cleaning procedure and if certain materials make more sense.
- Consider multiple levels. You don’t have to have a standard deck if you have the space to spice it up. Decks can be installed in a variety of different sizes so you don’t have to settle for a traditional rectangle one and can consider a circular one or even one with extra levels. There are no limits, so you can be as unique as you like so long as your backyard allows for it.
- Consider different accessories. Think of benches, light fixtures and privacy walls, just to name a few. You’re not obligated to stick to the basics and can give your deck more of a personality if you like by incorporating different accessories which will not only spruce up your deck but elevate the overall appearance of your backyard as well.
- Make sure to create some shade. The point of a deck is to be able to enjoy it and in order to do so, you will need to create shade so that you can stay outdoors even when the sun is strong. Find ways of keeping your deck cool because this will not only allow you to be outdoors longer but will also extend the life of your deck by protecting it against UV rays.
Decks can transform simple backyards into beautiful spaces and TorOnCa can help! We service the Brampton, Milton, Vaughan and Mississauga areas, so if you’re ready for a new deck or need installation or repair, give us a call today!